Dr Laurie Elit is a professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at McMaster University and a gynecologic oncologist who has a long history of working in low resource settings including Papua New Guinea, Haiti, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal. Since 1999, she has worked with gynecologists in Mongolia. She began teaching principles of gynecologic oncology both didactically and in the operating room at the Women's and Children's Hospital and National Oncology Hospital under the auspices of the Christian Medical and Dental Association [1,2]. She has been invited to consult with the UNFPA on a telemedicine project funded by the Government of Luxemborg . She was recently invited to work with the Millennium Challenge Corporation (USA) and EPOS Health Management (Europe) to build a national cervical cancer prevention strategy to the country. The results include the development of a national practice guideline and a series of train the trainer teaching programs for health workers, nurses, midwives, family doctors, and gynecologists.
Dr. Elit co-chairs the Society of Gynecologic Oncology of Canada's community of practice on International Health . This group is responsible for providing small scholarships for physicians from low resource countries to come to a gynecologic oncology centre in Canada. They have built a teaching module for cervical cancer surgery which has been pilot tested in Mongolia and Kenya . The team is now launching the program in Uganda in Jan 2011. Interested parties should contact Helene Soubliere at the GOC office which is within the SOGC.
1. Elit L. Steppe by Steppe: Gynecologic Oncology on the Mongolian plains. International Journal of Gynecologic Oncology. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2005 Mar Apr 15(2):359-60
2. Elit L, Baigal G, Tan J, Munkhtaivan A. Assessment of two cervical screening methods in Mongolia: Cervical cytology and visual inspection with acetic acid. Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease 10(2)Apr 2006: 83-88
3. Elit L. Role of Professional Societies in the global battle against Gynecologic Cancers. Distinguished Expert Series. EJGC 30(6):605-608, 2009
4. Elit L, Rosen B, Jimenez W, Giede C, Cybulska P, Dodge J, Erdenejargal A, Omenge E, Bernardini M, Finlayson S, McAlpine J, Miller D for the International Community of Practice Committee of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology of Canada. Teaching Cervical Cancer Surgery in Low or Middle Resource Countries. IJCS Dec2010
5. Tsedmaa B, Shinetugs B, Genden P, Baigal G, Munlhbayar Ch, , Enktuya Sh, Sugar J, Navchaa S, Enkhjargal Kh, Nizard J, Elit L, Erkhembaatar T. Telemedicine Model of Consultation for Cervical Cancer Prevention. Papillomavirus Conference 2010
Dr. Laurie Elit