Haiti Earthquake Relief Initiative
Since the disastrous earthquake which struck Haiti on January 12th, 2010, the Société haïtienne d'obstétrique et de gynécologie (SHOG) has been working endlessly to expand and improve the services offered at the Croix-des-Bouquets Maternity Center.
Because as Haiti rebuilds, childbirth cannot wait.
The SOGC has maintained a strong partnership with SHOG for over 13 years now, providing support for the organizational capacity building of their association, for delivering ALARM International Program training sessions to their member health professionals, as well as for the implementation of the Croix-des-Bouquets Maternity Center, through the FIGO Saving Mothers and Newborns Project. In response to the earthquake, the SOGC was able to take quick action for providing much needed support, in large part because of this long-term partnership.
In order to support SHOG's efforts of expanding the Croix-des-Bouquets Maternity Center, the SOGC, in collaboration with the Canadian Foundation for Women's Health, launched the Mothers and Newborns of Haiti Donation Campaign, as part of its Earthquake Relief Initiative.
Thanks to the generosity of SOGC members, partners, and donors, the Mothers and Newborns of Haiti Donation Campaign successfully raised over $250,000 of funds to cover the costs of renovations, expansion, maintenance and equipment for the Croix-des-Bouquets Maternity Centre.
Since January 2010, the support of the SOGC's Earthquake Relief Initiative has helped the Croix-des-Bouquets Maternity Centre to achieve the following:
- Cover the cost of salaries for all staff of the maternity services
- Allow Haitian health professionals to quickly return to the workforce
- Hire more staff to meet the demand for services
- Repairs and renovations to the centre following the earthquake
- Equip and open an operation room for emergency procedures
- Renovations to expand the second floor for more beds and space
- Rental of a nearby house to accommodate on-call staff
- Receive shipments of medications, supplies and necessary equipment
- Digging a well for access to safe drinking water
- Reconstruction of the latrines
- Installation of a reservoir for fuel
- Connection to the city's electricity
- Integration of Prevention of Maternal to Child Transmission of HIV
- Preventative measures and screening of cholera cases
- Prenatal services to more than 2,000 women
- Skilled attendance during childbirth for more than 2,000 women
- Emergency obstetric care for more than 500 women
- C-sections for more than 220 women
- Established reputation as an important referral centre for EmOC
- Recognized as the best maternity within the public health institutions
- Training of health personnel through the ALARM International Program
The support offered by the SOGC has helped the staff at Croix-des-Bouquets Maternity Centre respond to a never ending demand for reproductive health services. However the centre remains entirely dependent on external funding and with nearly two years behind us, the funds raised through the SOGC's Mothers and Newborns of Haiti Donation Campaign have almost all been depleted, leaving the centre in a vulnerable position to continue serving the women and children of Haiti.
SOGC members, partners and friends are encouraged to donate to the Mothers and Newborns of Haiti Donation Campaign and to consider making a monthly contribution so as to help ensure the long-term sustainability of the centre.